Wednesday, September 18, 2013

DB12c: ORA-19504: failed to create file "+DATA" While Creating Pluggable Database Manually

In my previous post on DB12c, while manually creating a pluggable database (on ASM), I hit the above error. No matter which way I tried to splice it, the error still occurred.

SQL> CREATE PLUGGABLE DATABASE heinz_pdb ADMIN USER heinz_admin IDENTIFIED BY beans
  STORAGE (MAXSIZE 2G MAX_SHARED_TEMP_SIZE 100M)
  DEFAULT TABLESPACE heinz_data
    DATAFILE '+DATA' SIZE 250M AUTOEXTEND ON;
CREATE PLUGGABLE DATABASE heinz_pdb ADMIN USER heinz_admin IDENTIFIED BY beans
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

I should mention, that the container database was also created manually, and I found that there’s a missing script in the binaries!

SQL> @?/rdbms/admin/catcdb.sql
SP2-0310: unable to open file "/u01/app/oracle/product/12.1.0.1/dbhome_1/rdbms/admin/catcdb.sql"

I’d opened up an SR, and asked them look into it. They came back earlier in the week with what I thought they’d say.

Since, the missing catcdb.sql is a known issue, he recommends that we create the container using the DBCA GUI. Following that, I should be able to create the pluggable databases manually. For reference, the patch request bug ID is 17418714.

To validate that, I had a preexisting CDB (RAC), which I created via the DBCA GUI. From it, I was able to successfully create the PDB (heinz_pdb). Below excerpt is from my blog post mentioned above.

SQL> select name, open_mode from v$database;

NAME    OPEN_MODE
--------- --------------------
RAC     READ WRITE

SQL> CREATE PLUGGABLE DATABASE heinz_pdb ADMIN USER heinz_admin IDENTIFIED BY beans
  STORAGE (MAXSIZE 2G MAX_SHARED_TEMP_SIZE 100M)
  DEFAULT TABLESPACE heinz_data
    DATAFILE '+DATA' SIZE 250M AUTOEXTEND ON;

Pluggable database created.

So, what I’m confused with is: Does creating the CDB using DBCA actually run the catcdb.sql? That wouldn’t make sense because the script needs to be present in the first place!

My gut feeling, is either
  • There’s a missing script “piece” while creating the CDB manually
  • Or, there’s a bug within the code which is hit while creating the PDB on ASM.


Either way, I’m curious to try out the same exercise after the aforementioned patch set release. Perhaps Oracle is looking to fix that in DB 12.1.0.2.0?


Cheers!

No comments :

Post a Comment